Copper sulfate is an effective pesticide due to its toxicity to algae, fungi, and snails.
However, it also poses potential risks to the environment, aquatic life, and the human body.
Therefore, it is tantamount to take care when disposing of copper sulfate pesticides. Here are specific instructions for best completing this task.
These regulations are provided primarily by the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA).
1. Wear Protective Clothing
If handled poorly, copper sulfate can cause serious medical complications. Contact with eyes and skin could cause irreversible damage. It can be fatal if swallowed in large quantities.
Therefore, it is crucial to wear EPA-approved protective clothing covering the face and body.
Before beginning the disposal process, please note the following EPA clothing mandates.
During pesticide disposal, wear a long sleeve shirt with long pants or overalls. Wear shoes with long socks and protective eyewear with side shields, like goggles.
Chemical-resistant, waterproof gloves are essential. Varieties made of materials like polyethylene and polyvinyl chloride are effective. Rubber and latex may also be effective.
Finally, the National Institute for Occupational Health and Safety recommends the N95 disposable particulate mask.
Once you are sufficiently protected, you may go forward with the disposal, following these instructions.
2. Consult the Label
Checking the product label, if available, should always come first.
Copper sulfate is sold primarily in plastic containers as well as paper bags. Each container should have an EPA-approved label with precise disposal instructions.
There may also be specific measures for the disposal of plastic or paper containers. The following are normal measures for disposing of copper sulfate and chemical containers.
The packaging label will outline specific EPA procedures for disposing of the product.
Disposal commonly involves sweeping, dumping, or calling a solid waste agency. However, the disposal method may be contingent on the quantity or quality of the chemical.
Because of this, it is critical to read the product label carefully. It is against federal law to improperly dispose of pesticides, spray mixtures, or rinsate.
If the product cannot be disposed of as described, call your regional EPA office.
For plastic containers, if empty, first rinse the container. If the container is not empty, pour contents into application equipment or a mixing tank. Then, begin rinsing.
The EPA recommends triple rinsing plastic jugs. Fill them 1/4th full of water, recap, and shake for ten seconds. Pour the resulting rinsate into application equipment or a mix tank.
Repeat three times or until the jug is thoroughly clean. Then, dispose of the product in a sanitary landfill or recycle if permitted.
If application equipment is unavailable, call your local solid waste disposal agency.
Do not reuse damaged containers or containers that are partially full. If the container is damaged, do not rinse it. Place it in a plastic bag, and then dispose of it in a sanitary landfill.
State regulations may allow burning plastic jugs for disposal. When burning, stay out of the smoke, as it could be toxic to inhale.
Some plastic containers are unapproved for refilling or reuse. Check the label and state regulations before considering recycling this material.
If the paper bag is not empty, dispose of the contents. Do this through application equipment or with a mixing tank.
Dispose of empty bags in a sanitary landfill or by incineration.
If the paper bag is damaged, secure any tears with heavy-duty tape. Then, put it in a plastic bag and dispose of it at a sanitary landfill.
Depending on state regulations, burning may also be allowed. When burning, stay out of the smoke, as it could be dangerous to inhale.
If the label is illegible or unavailable, call the manufacturer or your regional EPA office. You may also refer to the following steps for general cleanup.
3. How to Dispose of Unlabeled Copper Sulfate
Any commercially bought or sold copper sulfate solution should possess an EPA-approved label. These general instructions are in the event of a misplaced or illegible label.
Empty the chemical onto the ground away from the soil where run-off will not occur. Then, gently sweep the chemical into secure heavy-duty plastic bags or containers.
Avoid dust buildup by sweeping slowly. The inhalation or ingestion of chemical dust could cause severe respiratory conditions. Do not touch your eyes or mouth during this process.
Once swept up, take the chemical waste to your local solid waste disposal agency. If you cannot find a disposal agency, call an EPA hazardous waste representative.
You Should Never:
- Pour copper sulfate down a drain, either indoors or outdoors. Doing so can cause severe damage to aquatic life.
- Do not empty the material onto the earth or soil. Doing so could cause the toxification of the groundwater below, harming aquatic and plant life.
- Submit full or partially full containers of the chemical to landfills or recycling centers. Always rinse them out by using application equipment or mixing tanks.
If the containers are not safe for rinsing, secure them with heavy-duty plastic bags.
- Eat, drink, or smoke while handling copper sulfate. Doing so could cause ingestion of the chemical dust, resulting in severe health conditions.
- Handle copper sulfate without an EPA-approved breathing guard. This chemical is dangerous to the lungs and could cause severe upper respiratory irritation.
- Stand in fumes when burning. Copper fumes could be corrosive or harmful to respiratory health.
The improper disposal of this chemical could incur fines as high as $70,117/day per violation. This is per the Environmental Protection Act of 1990.
Call Your Local Solid Waste Disposal Agency
The 2012 OSHA Hazard Communication Standard classifies copper sulfate as hazardous waste. Therefore, it may be eligible for solid waste disposal assistance.
If you have any questions or concerns regarding copper sulfate disposal, contact your EPA regional office. You may also consult the questions and answers below.
Frequently Asked Questions
Here are some common asked questions about how to dispose of copper sulfate.
What If I Accidentally Spill Copper Sulfate On the Ground Or In Drains?
Contact your local EPA office or report to the National Response Center (1-800-424-8802). If the spill is small, quickly sweep it up into a plastic bag for disposal.
If the material enters drains through run-off or other means, contact your local authorities immediately.
What If Copper Sulfate Gets On My Skin?
If the chemical makes contact with unprotected skin, wash that area thoroughly with water. EPA guidelines suggest washing for 15–20 minutes with soap. Avoid touching your eyes.
Copper sulfate is absorbed through the skin. Once inside the body, the chemical binds to proteins and enters organs like the liver. As such, it is critical to be cautious.
Prolonged skin exposure to copper sulfate can irritate and is known to cause dermatitis. Skin rashes may also occur.
If symptoms continue to persist after washing, consult a doctor. You may also call the Health Resources and Services Administration’s Poison Centers for further consultation.
The Poison Control Hotline is available at 800-275-3924.
What If Copper Sulfate Gets In My Eyes?
If the chemical makes contact with unprotected eyes, wash them thoroughly with water. EPA guidelines suggest washing slowly and gently for 15–20 minutes.
When wearing contacts, remove them after washing your eyes for 5 minutes for thorough rinsing. If trying to remove contacts is painful, stop and call a doctor.
Copper sulfate exposure to the eyes will cause severe eye irritation. If this symptom persists after rinsing, call a doctor or poison control center (800-275-3924).
What If Copper Sulfate Gets On My Clothes?
If copper sulfate makes contact with clothing, remove it and wash it thoroughly. Wash your hands afterward. If your clothing is only lightly exposed, you can reuse it once clean.
If the clothing is thoroughly drenched or heavily contaminated, discard it. Do not reuse clothes that were heavily exposed. Some clothing corrosion may occur.
Before removing safety gloves, wash the outsides thoroughly.
What If I Accidentally Inhale Copper Sulfate?
Move to a fresh air space immediately and ask for help. If someone has inhaled copper sulfate, they may be unable to breathe. If so, offer artificial respiratory assistance and call 911.
Use a pocket mask with a one-way valve for respiration. If you do not possess this equipment, call an ambulance immediately.
It is inadvisable to administer mouth-to-mouth respiratory assistance. Doing so could cause health complications if the victim has inhaled the chemical.
Breathing in copper sulfate will irritate the upper lungs, causing coughing or wheezing. If the symptoms persist long after moving to fresh air, call a doctor or specialist.
What If I Accidentally Ingest Copper Sulfate?
If you ingest copper sulfate, call a physician or poison control specialist immediately. Ask or motion for immediate help. Do not induce vomiting unless instructed by a specialist.
If someone has ingested the chemical, they may be unable to swallow. If possible, EPA regulations suggest having the victim sip from a glass of water.
In some cases, a glass of milk may also help. Call a physician and ask for proper care instructions. You may also call the Poison Control Center hotline at 800-275-3924.
What Should I Do If I Have Additional Questions or Concerns?
Call your regional EPA office or visit the Environmental Protection Agency website at www.epa.gov. Contacting the copper sulfate manufacturer on the label may also help.
If you have additional medical concerns, visit the HRSA Poison Control Center website at www.poisonhelp.hrsa.gov.
Other articles you may also like: